When it comes time to begin gathering backlinks for your SEO campaign things can get a little tricky.
If you’re even a little bit educated on SEO then you know that you need to seek out high-quality backlinks in order to get your rankings up.
There are a lot of different ways to bring in the quality backlinks that you need to dominate the SERPs.
Read on and we’ll discuss what you need to do in order to ensure that you have the link juice you need to push you ahead of the competition.
Judging the Quality of Your Backlinks
If you’re relatively new to your niche then it’s time to get some research done.
Backlink checkers are tools which will allow you to see how many pages are linking to you. They’re invaluable for checking on organic links. Some of them can even tell you which are the most valuable links to your page.
A good free backlink checker will rank your check by authority rank for the pages you’re looking for.
Higher authority websites provide more valuable links to your page and help your rankings more. Quantity matters as well but without high authority backlinks, you’re going to have trouble moving forward.
There’s a hidden tool in all of this. By scoping out your competition you can also compete for links in the same place and find high authority pages in your niche.
Once you’ve found where your competitors are getting their backlinks it’s relatively easy to form a strategy to compete.
If your page has already been around for a bit, use a backlink checker to see who is linking to you. Then scope out the competition.
If you have access to some of the more costly SEO tools you can directly check authority rankings as well.
What to Do
There are a number of ways to create backlinks for free. Not all of them are going to be high quality in the beginning but it’s a good idea to make sure you’re starting to accumulate backlinks if you’re new.
On the other hand, you’re also going to want to start looking into the following methods to begin creating high-quality backlinks for free:
- Guest Post Outreach-Trading links between blogs and other sites within the same niche is a common practice. If you’re an actual authority in your field then pitching a guest article is an easy process.
- Article Marketing-By posting links to directories you can get ahead. Make sure to find a high-authority domain and to use appropriate anchor text or your link will be next to worthless, however.
- Comments-Don’t spam, but making comments on pages that aren’t “no-follow” can help quite a bit. Posting relevant information in the comments of other people’s pages and then linking to your site is a valid way to get backlinks.
Utilizing the above three techniques you can get quite a few high-quality backlinks without having to pay anything. They’re all reliable and “white hat” techniques.’
The most important thing is to remember that whatever you’re doing to build links needs to add value. If you’re not adding value, or required to in the case of guest posts and article marketing, then you’re not going to get far.
Many of us are quite busy and if that’s the case then you may wish to contact an expert in order to get things rolling.
What Not to Do
Ever since backlinks became important to search engines people have been trying to find ways to game the system.
You should avoid this at all costs if you’re looking at prospering in the long term.
Black hat SEO techniques are effective… until Google catches up with you. They will too, many pages have had sudden drops in rank because their techniques have been figured out.
If you’re on the fence about a strategy you’re using ask yourself this: “Is what I’m doing only of benefit for gaining rank or am I adding value?”
If the answer is that it’s only going to help your SERP without adding anything then you may want to rethink it.
Some of the following common techniques can get you heavily penalized once caught:
- Link Buying-There’s a booming business for those who want you to buy quality backlinks. It’s mostly run for their benefit, as the majority of link buying services are one misstep away from being caught.
- Private Blog Networks-While PBNs still work for some time, they’re heavily penalized by Google. Most link selling services use them but many “creative” SEO types form their own network to get up in rankings. PBNs are a bit less costly since you can disavow the links, but you’ll also need to monitor them.
- Widget Links-This used to be a useful technique but abuse by professionals has made it somewhat harder to use. As a very small portion of a link profile, they can be helpful, but it’s best to avoid them entirely or mark them as no-follow.
The biggest thing is this. If you want your website to be a sustainable business, then avoiding techniques which search engines flag is crucial.
Putting it All Together for Quality Backlinks
Link building is time intensive and it’s even harder to put together consistent, high-quality links.
SEO is an entire industry and backlinks form the underlying structure for it. Even if you’re not planning on doing things yourself it helps to be aware of the difference in the quality of backlinks and what techniques to avoid.
It’s a time and knowledge-intensive process.
If you don’t have the payroll for a dedicated employee, then contact us and let’s see what we can do by working together.